Friday, May 20, 2011

On the Island so far

Here is Sara and I's new home. We're in a spot called Freddie's Beach. It actually a block away from the beach, but there's supposed to to be some good snorkeling and fishing on the lava flows that make up the beach. The wild dogs everywhere were a bit much for me. When I showed up on the first night there were 5 camped out on my front patio. My place had been vacant for several month and it looks like they took advantage of the deck to escape the rain. They got into a few snarl fights during the evening (part of the reason I woke up at 3am), but a few days of activity at my house and they haven't made my porch their bed since then.

Apparently the strategy for dealing with the wild dog packs is to adopt one of the less trashy/diseased one. Feed him and treat him well and he keeps the rest at bay. Good thing I didn't try and bring Tucker, he wouldn't make it here.

The highlight of the trip so far was on the first morning. Daniel, a new coworker who arrived at the same time as me, bumped into one of our new neighbors on a walk and he showed us the way out to Airport Beach. It's a mile walk along the lava flows and the fence line for the airport, past a few WW2 pillboxes and some amazing scenery. Looks like this is going to be a spot with some great ocean access. We'll see if my work schedule will let me take advantage of these amenities.

I'll leave you with some romantic island shots, since the rest of the week has been spent getting me up to speed at work and dealing with all the bureaucratic nightmares that come from moving to a place that works on island-time full-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment