Thursday, May 5, 2011

Socializing and Biking

I’m in the midst of a whirlwind tour of socializing and activities that I will soon be leaving behind. Tuesday I was off to Napa to hang out with a college rugby buddy and help him brew some beer (one of many hobbies I will be leaving on the mainland). Yesterday I was at an Oakland A’s game with Spencer, I even got to kick it with Stomper. Win.


There have also been errands and other responsibilities mixed into my schedule. I managed to find a cheap mountain bike and am working on fixing it up to ship off to the island. As a longtime cyclist I have done various amounts of building and rebuilding. I’ve built up just about every aspect of bike. The system on the bike I had yet to venture into was the derailleurs and cables. I didn’t notice that the handlebar mounts for the rear break and shifter was broken when I purchased the bike, thus a full replacement of the shifter and break. As the components are too old for retailers to stock the parts and there’s not enough time to order or track down the parts I needed, I’m doing a full cable replacement. The replacing part isn’t the difficult part, it’s getting the brakes and derailleurs adjusted after the new cable goes in. Hours spent tweaking a screw or trying to properly tension the cables are trying my bike mechanic skills. Hopefully I’ll get this bike fully functional soon, since it may be all the transportation I’ll be left with if my car sells.



I also received word of when I’ll be flying out. May 16 is my departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment