Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Staples

Sometimes it's the little creature comforts that get you through. It's the hot cocoa on a snowy day or lemonade during summer. For me it's Mexican food and a few other vegetarian staples for dinner. These are the ingredients that can make a dinner that will make me forget even the most rotten of days.

Living in American Samoa, I assumed I was going to be doing without these basics while I was here. I may be able to grab a mission burrito on every street corner in San Francisco, but here on island the only option was the Green Burrito housed inside the Carl's Jr. No ideal for a picky (read snobby) vegetarian.

Last's night's shopping trip may have made my two year stint here survivable. The container ship came in on Friday and this was my first trip to the market since the island was resupplied. I wasn't expecting to strike gold quite like I did. I was able to get flour and corn tortillas, Morning Star soy sausage patties and Boca burgers. With a few basics in my freezer I may be able to feed myself well and that's enough to keep his picky vegetarian pretty happy. Now if only I could find some firm tofu and tempeh, I'd have my Chinese stir frys covered too.

No comments:

Post a Comment